Mater Dei Primary School, Toowoomba, is a Catholic co-educational school, founded by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan in 1917.
The school did not always have the name it does today, as it was originally known as Holy Angels. More about the school’s history is listed in the timeline below:
1917: Two Good Samaritan Sisters arrived to set up the school and Archbishop Duhig laid the foundation stone for the Holy Angels on September 10 in the same year.
1955: Bishop Brennan renamed the school Mater Dei. The secondary school for girls opened the following year, however, it closed in 1974.
1978: Trevor Cavanagh was appointed the first lay principal.
1982: The Sisters of Good Samaritan withdrew and Monsignor Pat Doyle appoints a parish priest the following year.
1988: The school buildings were refurbished
1992: The school celebrated its 75th anniversary and the second preschool unit was built.
1998: Fr Tony O’Keefe was appointed parish priest and Bill Ahern was appointed principal the following year.
2001: The PJ Doyle complex was completed and two multi-age classes were introduced in 2004.
2005: The Early Years Centre opened.
2006: The IDEAS program introduced.
2007: Prep classes commenced.
2008: Fr Brian Noonan was appointed parish priest.
To find out more about the history of Mater Dei Primary School, Toowoomba, click here.